Temporomandibular disorder (TMD) is something that 30% of adults will experience in their lives.
TMD is a problem that affects the muscles and joints between the lower jaw and the base of the skull. It can be caused by a range of problems, including clenching your jaw, grinding your teeth, injury, stress, wear and tear of your jaw joint, an uneven bite or other disorders, including arthritis.
TMD can cause a variety of symptoms such as:
- Clicking, popping or grating noises as you chew or move your mouth
- Muscle pain around the jaw
- Pain in front of the ear that may spread to the cheek, ear and temple
- Pain in other areas of the body – such as neckache or backache
- Difficulty opening the mouth – the jaw may feel tight, as if it is stuck, making eating difficult
- Headaches or migraines
- Earache or a “buzzing” or blocked sensation in the ear
At Perfect Smile, we understand that your smile is more than the way you look, but the way that you live your life. Although TMD isn’t usually serious, the condition impacts the way you live and makes it difficult to share your smile with the world. That’s why we offer a range of bespoke treatments and advice on how to treat your TMD.
Most of the time, TMD treatments are small and non-evasive and can include things like jaw exercises, lifestyle changes or mouth guards to prevent to prevent tooth grinding. If your TMD is quite advanced, the treatment can involve things like orthodontic treatments or even surgery.
With specialised TMD doctors at our clinics, we help you discover what is causing your TMD and build a bespoke treatment plan perfectly built for you. With our range of TMD treatments, we can help you achieve your happier, healthier and perfect smile.