Most people will experience gum disease at least once during their lifetime.
Gum disease is incredibly common and can be a painful experience, creating swollen, sore or infected gums. If left untreated, it can also seriously damage your dental health, resulting in tooth loss and gum abscesses, and require surgery to treat.
Gum disease is caused by a build-up of plaque and can occur in many stages. Plaque is a soft film of bacteria that constantly forms on the teeth and gums. When it’s not removed, plaque produces toxins that irritate the gum tissue. Treatments such as a scale and polish can be used to remove plaque and tartar (hardened plaque) build up on your teeth, helping prevent and limit your gum disease. Treatments could also include root planing, which involves a deep clean under your gums to get rid of bacteria from the roots of your teeth.
At Perfect Smile, our gum disease treatments are designed to prevent gum disease and stop it from becoming worse, keeping your smile healthy and happy.
How Does Gum Disease Treatment Work?
- The first stage of gum disease is gingivitis.
- This is an inflammation of the gums.
- Symptoms include bad breath and red, painful, swollen or bleeding gums.
- As the earliest stage of gum disease, gingivitis is the easiest to treat and the damage can be reversed.
- In some cases, gingivitis will require a treatment with antibiotics.
- When left untreated, gingivitis can become periodontitis.
- Periodontitis affects and permanently damages the tissues, bone and fibres that hold teeth in place.
- By forming a pocket below the gum line, your gums will also start to recede. Without treatment, periodontitis can become advanced.
- As the tissues supporting the teeth are being destroyed, the teeth become loose, can shift position or fall out.
- In some cases, affected teeth will need to be removed and you could require periodontal surgery to treat the disease.